Together with some, the film is chock stuffed with fatalities — the collection’ signature gory ending motion pictures — and riddled with Easter eggs for followers to identify.
Let’s rip out the film’s SPOILERS and check out their sport inspiration. Be warned, the movies are gory, and watching too many finishers in a row made me really feel a bit unusual.
Kano the Ripper
After Cole, Sonya and Kano survive an assault by a lizard-like Saurian warrior, Kano rips out its coronary heart and it continues to beat in his hand. Yucky.
This has been one in every of Kano’s finishers because the original Mortal Kombat in 1992, and received called out through the 1993 US congressional listening to on online game violence. Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman was lower than impressed with Kano’s antics.
You would possibly assume the Saurian is Reptile, probably the most distinguished member of that species within the video games. The one within the film is not named, so it is unlikely to be him.
New motion pictures popping out in 2021: Netflix, Marvel and extra
Former Shaolin monk Kung Lao easily dodges the entire assaults by winged vampire Nitara, then slices her proper down the center together with his razor sharp hat. He is used variations of this fatality since Mortal Kombat 2 in 1993, however this specific model resembles Buzz Saw, as seen in Mortal Kombat 2011.
He additionally utters the part “flawless victory,” which you earn within the video games by profitable a spherical with out taking any injury. Good work, Kung Lao.
The brand new one
Cole Younger was created for the film, so he would not have a historical past of fatalities to attract from. Nevertheless, he is a descendant of Hanzo Hasashi, aka Scorpion, so you understand ending folks off violently is in his blood.
He actually attracts loads of blood from Goro after his powers manifest and he beneficial properties armor that appears to soak up kinetic power. Utilizing a newly shaped pair of tonfa, he slices off one of many Shokan prince’s fingers, rips open his torso and stabs him by means of the attention.
Since Cole is new to the fatality sport, this most likely will not be his signature killing technique. That is, actor Lewis Tan informed CNET — it’s going to doubtless evolve within the character’s future appearances.
Your soul is mine
As the good guys flee Raiden’s temple, Shang Tsung telekinetically grabs Kung Lao. He sucks out the hatted fighter’s soul, reducing his corpse to a shriveled husk. It’s a bit mean and quite rude.
Shang Tsung has been sucking out people’s souls for nearly 30 years, but this one closely resembles the version from Mortal Kombat 2.
Clap your robot hands
Reiko beat Jax earlier in the movie, so the soldier repays the favor by smashing the hammer-wielding goon’s head with his fancy new robot hands. So long Reiko, we hardly knew ye.
Gnome’s revenge and holey torso
After a tussle outside her trailer, Sonya stabs Kano in his laser eye with the garden gnome he spat on earlier. After this, she uses her new energy powers to blow a hole in Mileena’s torso.
Enter the fiery Dragon
After knocking Kabal into a tar pit with his bicycle kick, Liu summons a fire dragon to set the baddy alight.
“Fatality, for Kung Lao,” he says.
As the game series’ original hero, he’s transformed into a regular, not-fire dragon and eaten chunks of defeated foes in multiple entries in the franchise. The movie’s depiction most closely resembles his Fatal Blow from Mortal Kombat 11, since that dragon is on fire.
The final battle is a bounty of Sub-Zero and Scorpion references, from “Get over here” to ice swords, ice walls and a half-frozen Scorpion. After much anticipation, it ends with Scorpion removing his mask and spitting a burst of flame to burn his foe.
This is one of the series’ most beloved finishers, with Scorpion using it in most games, and it’s a delight to see on screen.
- When Sub-Zero freezes and shatters Jax’s arms, the controller inputs for the move are visible as graffiti in the background.
- In the games’ original continuity, Jax voluntarily gets bionic arm implants to enhance his strength. By contrast, in the new timeline created by the events of Mortal Kombat 2011, his arms are ripped off by telekinetic red ninja Ermac and later replaced with cybernetic arms.
- Sub-Zero gets his scar from Scorpion’s rope spear during their first fight in 1617. In the game canon, Kano is responsible for that wound (though it’s the original Sub-Zero’s brother,who took over the role after the first game).
- “The man who took the belt from Eddie Tobias,” Jax says of Cole during their first meeting — a reference to series creators Ed Boon and John Tobias.
- Sonya’s wall of evidence includes a Matoka warrior who looks like Nightwolf, as well as an idol resembling Kotal Kahn.
- The murals in Raiden’s temple show Goro and Shao Kahn in his Mortal Kombat 11 armor
- Liu Kang picks up an amulet resembling that of fallen Elder God Shinnok as he shows Sonya, Cole and Kano around the temple.
- A blue fan is visible in the hall where Shang Tsung’s gang confronts Raiden’s team — this is the signature weapon of Princess Kitana, Shao Kahn’s adoptive daughter.
- “All we can do now is test your might,” Liu Kang says before Cole trains against Kung Lao, alluding to a minigame that’s been in the series since the original game.
- Master Bo-Rai Cho found Liu Kang “half dead in the gutter” and brought him to the Wu Shi Academy. This character trained Liu in the games, and has been playable in several since 2003’s Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance.
- There’s a statue of Shao Kahn’s Klassic look in the arena where Cole and Liu fight Mileena and Kabal.