iOS 17 has been released, offering iPhone users the opportunity to update their devices with Apple’s latest software. If you’re planning to get an iPhone 15 when it hits stores this Friday (September 22), you don’t need to worry about upgrading, as every iPhone 15 model comes pre-installed with iOS 17. However, for the rest of us, upgrading to iOS 17 on our current iPhones is a straightforward process.
Before you begin, it’s essential to ensure that your iPhone is compatible with iOS 17. The software update is compatible with iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max models from 2018 onwards, as well as any iPhone released after those models. Among the iPhones that were eligible for iOS 16, only the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and iPhone X won’t receive the iOS 17 update.
Prior to downloading and installing iOS 17, we recommend creating an archived backup of your iPhone. This precaution allows you to revert to your backed-up copy in case the update encounters issues.
Now, let’s go through the steps to download and install iOS 17 on your iPhone:
- Check for the iOS 17 update
- Launch the Settings app and select General.
- Tap on Software Update, then choose Upgrade to iOS 17.
- Download iOS 17
- On the subsequent page containing iOS 17’s release notes, tap Download and Install.
- You’ll be prompted to enter your passcode and agree to Apple’s terms and conditions.
- Install iOS 17
- iOS 17 will begin downloading onto your iPhone, and a progress status bar will indicate the download’s progress. Since this is a sizable upgrade, it may take some time to complete. We recommend keeping your phone plugged into a charger during this process.
- Once the download is complete, you’ll be prompted to install the update.
- After Apple verifies the update, your phone will restart and install iOS 17.
After your phone restarts, you’ll be prompted to enter your passcode, and from that point onward, you’ll be running iOS 17.
While iOS 17 may not be as groundbreaking as some previous updates, it introduces several noteworthy improvements. Highlights of iOS 17 include Live Voicemail, which provides call transcriptions on your lock screen, a StandBy mode that transforms your idle phone into a smart screen, and updates to the Messages, Maps, Safari, and Health apps.
If you’re eager to explore the new features, we’ve identified nine iOS 17 features you should try out after installing the update. Additionally, we have tips on setting up StandBy mode and creating a Contact Poster.