Chapter 9 is titled The Marshal, a reputation that is prone to make followers who’ve been following the Star Wars novels say “Oooooh, sure!” Please do not learn any additional till you’ve got reminded your self in season 1 and watched the episode on . We good? Good, there may be a lot to debate. Let’s dive into SPOILERS.
In his quest to reunite Child Yoda along with his personal form, Mando (Pedro Pascal) seeks out different Mandalorians to information him. He learns of somebody on Tatooine, which weirds him out since he and his little buddy however heard nothing about it.
It seems the person in Mandalorian armor is not a Mandalorian in any respect — it is Cobb Vanth (Timothy Olyphant, who beforehand performed gunslingers in Deadwood and Justified). He is decked out in Boba Fett’s iconic armor, and his story performed out in Chuck Wendig’s trilogy of novels, that are set between Return of the Jedi and The Mandalorian. This episode additionally presents it in a brilliant cool flashback.
I am fairly jealous of Vanth’s pretty Hollywood hair — in actual life, it might be a large number after taking off that helmet. Maybe he makes use of product derived from Bantha juice to maintain it oh so shapely?
When felony goons rolled into Mos Pelgo following the destruction of the second Demise Star (roughly 5 years previous to The Mandalorian), Vanth escaped and purchased Fett’s armor from some Jawas. Because the notorious bounty hunter fell into the sarlacc in Return of the Jedi and is busy being digested for 1,000 years, he will not want any armor … proper?
“I suppose each now and again, each suns shine on a womp rat’s tail,” Vanth says of his luck, in reference to Tatooine’s twin suns. I will use this phrase in actual life typically.
Along with his superior new armor — which appears prefer it was mildly broken by the sarlacc’s digestive system — Vanth returned to the city and drove the goons out. He then strutted about carrying it, to maintain the city secure within the lawless post-Empire Tatooine.
Nevertheless, Mando’s decided to take again the armor and completely prepared to gun Vanth down for it till a much bigger menace emerges.
Enter the Dragon
A large Krayt dragon rumbles by the city, touring underneath the sand just like the horrible beasties in Tremors (a film that terrified me as a child). Vanth guarantees to offer Mando the armor if he helps take out the Krayt.
We noticed a small Krayt dragon skeleton as C-3PO and R2-D2 traveled by the Tatooine desert in A New Hope, and Obi-Wan Kenobi mimicked its cry to scare off the Tusken Raiders in the identical film.
All of the Star Wars motion pictures, from the tacky to the nice, ranked
Right here, it seems that the Tuskens are having the identical issues with the Krayt, they usually workforce up with Mando, Vanth and the villagers to finish it. Other than Mando negotiating with them last time he was on Tatooine, Tuskens have beforehand solely been offered as harmful savages — having overwhelmed up Luke Skywalker in A New Hope and killing Anakin’s mom in Attack of the Clones. This episode provides some refreshing nuance.
In a pleasant, refined occasion of character progress, Vanth initially insults the Tuskens by refusing to drink their smelly drink, however later knocks one again after allying with them.
Ending the Dragon
The Krayt dragon apparently ate a sarlacc and took over its lair. It is unclear if it was the identical sarlacc we noticed in Return of the Jedi — that was the Nice Pit of Carkoon, however there are a number of sarlacc pits on Tatooine.
Because it slaughters Tuskens and villagers, Mando and Vanth blast round utilizing their candy jetpacks — seeing a pair of Mando lads battling a Krayt dragon is the stuff of Star Wars followers’ goals. Mando in the end slays the beast by letting it eat him (and an unlucky bantha), then detonating explosives in its stomach. Yum.
This jogged my memory of the 2002 recreation Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, by which you play as Jango Fett (Boba’s dad). It isn’t canon anymore, however you battle a Krayt dragon on Tatooine. In case you’re feeling nostalgic, it is (and must be playable on PS5 by way of ).
Within the episode’s closing moments, we see a mysterious somebody watching Mando from a ridge. He seems to be carrying Tusken Raider gear, and turns round to disclose the face of Boba Fett (Temuera Morrison). He apparently escaped the sarlacc within the years since Return of the Jedi and it appears like he is been hiding. How he acquired out and what he is been as much as for the final 5 years is unknown, however he’ll most likely be wanting his armor again.
So Mando’s inadvertently painted a giant(ger) goal on his and Child Yoda’s backs — we’d see Boba searching him down solo, or he might workforce up withand the Imperial Remnant. The Imps need Child Yoda and would pay Boba severe cash for his assist in searching Mando down.
It is really the primary time we have seen Boba’s face as an grownup, but it surely’s a really acquainted one since he is a clone of the late bounty hunter Jango Fett in Attack of the Clones. A long time earlier than the occasions of The Mandalorian, Jango was recruited by Depend Dooku to function the genetic template for the clone military utilized by the Galactic Republic, as a part of Darth Sidious’ tremendous convoluted plot to wipe out the Jedi. A part of Jango’s cost was an unaltered clone that he might increase as his son — Boba — however the elder Fett was killed by Mace Windu in the course of the Battle of Geonosis.
We noticed younger Boba getting as much as (sometimes murderous) mischief in, and his profession as a bounty hunter was in full swing by the point of the , till he acquired eaten like a sucker. At this level, Boba is round 42 years previous — he appears a bit older as a result of actor Temuera Morrison is 59. However his time within the sarlacc’s acid doubtless aged him, and Tatooine is the planet whose local weather turned in lower than twenty years. Have to be homicide on the pores and skin.
There are additionally a bunch of others sharing Boba’s face; the clone troopers. They will look a lot older than Boba at this level — they had been genetically engineered to age at an accelerated price so they might go to warfare faster (fairly darkish and bizarre, proper?). We all know of not less than one surviving clone: Commander Rex was current on the Battle of Endor, as seen within the final episode of.
Child Yoda cuteness
The little man did not do a lot this episode — no sudden use of the Pressure or something — and principally hung again trying cute. He is aware of to shut his pod simply earlier than Mando wastes Gor Koresh’s guards with the whistling birds and hides in a pot because the Krayt dragon passes by Mos Pelgo.
It was cool that Mando introduced him on this extremely harmful mission. Cool, and mad irresponsible.
- Gor Koresh (John Leguizamo), the one-eyed man from the beginning of the episode, is an Abyssin, and apparently hunted Mandalorians for his or her beskar. He will not be doing that anymore, since Mando left him to get eaten.
- It is cool to see Mos Eisley mechanic Peli Motto (Amy Sedaris) once more. She’s nonetheless wild about Child Yoda — very relatable.
- Mando wasn’t OK with Peli’s pit droids the final time , however IG-11 has round on droids.
- Peli additionally owns R5-D4, the pink astromech droid Luke’s Uncle Owen tried to purchase in A New Hope. He was seen within the cantina final season, and it is good that he discovered dwelling.
- Vanth’s tricked out speeder bike is made from a bit of pod racer — it appears kinda like Anakin’s one from and .
- In his flashback, Vanth steals a camtono of silicax oxalate crystals that he exchanges for Boba’s armor. The camtono is a prop initially seen in The Empire Strikes Back, and it final season.
- When Vanth is briefing the townspeople, the lights on his armor are oddly hypnotic. Cannot wait to see a cosplayer create it.
- Mando strikes Vanth’s jetpack to ship him flying to security. In Return of the Jedi, Han Solo blindly hit the identical jetpack and despatched Boba Fett into the sarlacc. Could be time to get a brand new jetpack…
- The shot as Mando blows up the Krayt is magnificent — the sand ripples and dirt is kicked up. Main kudos to the ILM crew for this; I might love to look at this episode on a giant display screen.
- This episode alludes closely to the Tatooine part of 2003 online game Knights of the Old Republic. The Krayt dragon pearl — which the Tuskens take away from its stays within the episode — is a reward for searching down one of many beasts. You can even negotiate with Tuskens within the recreation.
- It appears doubtless that Boba was the mysterious one who in season 1.
- Be part of us subsequent Friday for extra Easter eggs and observations after Disney Plus. hits